May 21, 2012

simply bountiful


When the jeans got a little tighter after Christmas I decided that something had to change and finally came to terms with the fact that Velveeta and Rotel does not have its own category on the food pyramid (dang it). For a couple of months now I have challeneged myself to come up with snacks and meals that are more beneficial for my health. Mind you - I AM NOT on a diet! I am replacing things that are empty fillers with foods that my body will actually benefit from. Naturally, these items are fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats etc. When I found out about Bountiful Baskets I was intrigued. Let me explain.

Bountiful Baskets is a local grocery co-op that pools together money to purchase produce, bread, oils etc. for lower prices. The organization is a volunteer based program to ensure that the money pooled together is spent on food not employees. Every week you can buy into what they call a "conventional basket" made up of 50% fruit, 50% veggies for $15 (plus a $1.50 convenience charge each time, there is also a one-time $3.00 charge for your first basket). You can also add $10 for an organic basket. The produce they include is usually items that are in season therefore you never know what you are going to get. Like I said in the 360 West Magazine article this month, "it's like Christmas!" There are a couple of staples items that they try to include each time - bananas, onions, lettuce, apples. On top of that, there are many upgrades you can add on to your basket purchase that change weekly (extra bread packages, vats of blackberries, Italian veggie pack etc.).

Participation opens every Monday at 12pm and runs through Tuesday at 10pm. I'd recommend checking the website as close to 12pm on Monday as possible because some popular pick-up spots run out since there are a limited number of baskets available and it is on a first come first serve basis. Pick the location that is most convenient for you and purchase a basket from that location on the drop down menu. After purchasing, you would pick up your baskets on Saturday morning (different times for different locations) at the designated pick-up location. Here's us lining up to pick up our baskets...


I've participated about 4 times now and I am in love!! You get such great produce for so little money. I'd say I get about $30 of produce for $15 and the quality is great! The best apples I've ever had have come from Bountiful Baskets. YUM. This is just half of the produce that I got in the first basket I purchased.



Please visit www.bountifulbaskets.org for more information or leave a comment if you have any further questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment